The Forest Park Public Library is hosting a paperback book drive for Chicago Books to Women in Prison during the month of February. CBWP sends books to women and trans/non-binary adults in prisons across the country free of charge. They run entirely on donations and volunteer time. Similar to the Library, one of their organization’s goals is offering the opportunity for self-empowerment, education, and entertainment that reading provides.
How to participate:
You can donate paperback books from the following categories and bring them to the Library. Gently used books are also very welcome! You can also send books from our Amazon Wishlist. See it here.
Paperbacks are preferred, as hardcovers might not be accepted at all prisons. Here are the categories we’re looking for:
- Fiction titles from their wishlists
- Crafts (such as crochet, beading, cardmaking, and other papercrafts)
- Coloring books (for adults and children)
- Drawing, painting, and calligraphy
- Puzzle books, especially Sudoku, word searches, crosswords, and fill-ins (can’t be written in)
- Blank journals with prompts*
*Please note nothing with spiral binding will be accepted.
Patrons can also shop CBWP’s online wish lists hosted by two local Chicago bookstores. Items purchased from these lists will go directly to CBWP and will not need to be dropped off at the Library. These items will help CBWP and a local bookstore!
- Our wish list at Women and Children First, featuring a wide range of subject matter
- Our wish list at Da Joint Books, focusing on urban fiction — one of the most popular requests CBWP gets
Where will items be collected
Physical books can be dropped off at the Info Desk at Forest Park Public Library. Please do not drop off donations when the Library is closed.
For more information on Chicago Books to Women in Prison, you can visit their website.
Questions? Email Claudia at firstname.lastname@example.org.