What a year 2020 has turned out to be. We had hoped that after a season of challenging renovations we would open our doors wide and welcome the community into our new library spaces. Unfortunately, we too have had to pivot and reimagine the services and experiences that we offer.
With so much uncertainty, you may be wondering what your public library has been up to, and what our plans for the future are? We hope this letter will answer some of those questions.
We have spent the past months reorganizing and reprioritizing during this season of change. This has meant reviewing our values, redefining our work, and getting creative with how we serve the community, both in-person and online.
The Board of Trustees and staff have looked closely at what we need to run our organization as efficiently as possible while best serving the community during these uncertain times.
Here’s What we have been doing:
- Welcoming two new Board of Trustee members: Keary Bramwell and Ayanna Brown.
- Creating new workflows to keep our staff and the community safe.
- Staying up-to-date on health and safety precautions for the community and our library items.
- Doing more with less. We are reducing our spending and being strategic with our finances in order to conserve our budget.
- Creating a new Strategic Plan. We are embarking on a new strategic plan this year and will soon be reaching out to the community to get input on what they would like to see from their Library in the coming years.
- Committing to change through conversations and action concerning equity, diversity, and inclusion in staffing, services, collections, and more.
- Creating new programming opportunities and services to connect and engage with the community including virtual programming, outdoor activities, socially distant library services, and online sharing.
- Remaining responsive to change to offer opportunities and experiences that help our community.
There is no way to tell what the coming months or years will bring. What we do know is that the Forest Park Public Library and its staff will continue to be agile and nimble to serve and support the community.
We appreciate all the support we have received since we reopened in June. Your kindness and flexibility has meant a lot.
If you are looking for a way to support the Library in the coming months, the best way is to get a library card, use our services, follow us on social media, and tell your friends.
Remember, the Library is here to support you. We are stronger together.
If you have comments or questions, please reach out. Call 708-366-7171 or email email@example.com.
Pilar Shaker, Library Director