In late April, Governor Pritzker extended the Illinois stay-at-home order through the end of May. To support this effort to keep our community safe, the library building will continue to remain closed at this time.
This is hard news. We miss the community and being able to serve Forest Park in person. While the COVID-19 pandemic keeps the Library building closed, staff has been hard at work to continue to serve the community. Your Library is available anytime and anywhere virtually.
- We are available to answer your questions and give assistance by phone or email.
- Our social work intern is offering virtual social work appointments.
- We offer thousands of items like ebooks, movies, and magazines as well as online learning and research opportunities.
- We have created a new platform called FPPL TV to house all the new virtual programming staff created for all ages.
- We have created a variety of resource guides to assist with business, jobs, health, and more.
- Library cards have also gone virtual. Let us know if you need one!
Please continue to check the Library website and social media accounts for the most up-to-date information on Library services.
A big question we keep getting is: when will we reopen? And if we can’t reopen fully, can we offer curbside pick up of materials? These are questions the Board of Trustees and staff have been talking about regularly.
At this time, Illinois library leaders are reviewing the Governor’s most recent order and will be making a recommendation to libraries as to how the latest stay at home order defines curbside service for libraries.
There are still many questions and concerns about providing this service. Currently, we do not have access to the PPE required to keep staff safe. The logistics of curbside pick up on the busy intersection where the Library resides is another issue.
Staff is also carefully evaluating what we need to do to ensure Library materials can be circulated in a safe and responsible manner. We are awaiting recommendations from the Institute for Museum and Library Sciences and the CDC, who are conducting a comprehensive study of the virus and library materials.
We want to assure the community that we are working hard to figure out the next steps. Our top concern is the safety of the Forest Park community.
Thank you for your support. We hope to see you again soon!